Q&A #6774

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: What to do the first day of school

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Jan Tremain

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003072421:20:46
Subject: First day of school

I want my 8th graders to think that math is going to be fun so on the first day of school during the last 20 minutes of the class I put on my wizard's cape and do a math trick. To make it spectacular I have the number answer for the trick (it's always the same answer - 8) cut out of cardboard. I tell students to look at the overhead for the answer. I take a match and light a small piece of flash paper under which I have my cutout of the number 8. AFter it flares the students see the number 8. They are really impressed and leave thinking maybe 8th grade math will be fun.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®