From: T. Gibbs

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000010621:00:26
Subject: rounding-approximating

I teach third grade. I made two large hands. On the left hand I put 0-4 on left finger tips, and 5-9 on the right finger tips. I label LEFT--LEAVE IT HAND, and RIGHT--RAISE IT HAND. When explaining to students to round off to a particular place, I tell them that that is the target digit. Underline it. The digit to the right (circle it) is the "bossy neighbor". Look at the hands to see where the "bossy neighbor" is. If it is on the left hand the target is left as is and everything to the right becomes a zero. If the "bossy neighbor" is on the right hand, the target raises to the next digit, and everything to the right becomes a zero. This has worked very successfully.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/