From: Loyd <loydlin@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002022308:35:33
Subject: Re: Probability/Statistics Age

On 2002022212:33:03, Amy wrote:
>	I have a question on the earliest age that kids are expected to
learn
>the mean, median and mode, and how in depth it will be
taught....i.e.,
>what grade is it begun in and how stressed is it throughout the rest
>of elementary school?  Thank you, Amy (Student Teacher)

I think that VA's standards are typical of many states so I have
provided info from there.

You can find the VA Standards of Learning on the VA Department of Ed
web site.  There you can also find the past two sol tests that have
been released to the public.

Below are the standards 6th, 7th and algebra I students:

6.19 The student will describe the mean, median, and mode as measures
of central tendency and determine their meaning for a set of data.

7.19 The student will create and solve problems involving the mean,
median, mode, and range of a set of data.

7.20 The student will display data, using frequency distributions,
line plots, stem-and-leaf plots, box-and-whisker plots, and scatter
grams.

A.18- The student will compare multiple one-variable data 5 q sets,
using statistical techniques that include measures of central
tendency, range, stem-and-leaf plots, and box and-whisker graphs.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/