From: ifeld <ifeld@lps.k12.co.us>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006100112:27:39
Subject: metric week

With my fifth graders we talk about cm and meters in class measuring
objects etc.  But to get a feel for Km we walk a kilometer using a
trundle wheel that marks off a meter each time the wheel goes round
and clicks.	 Because kids are not familiar with Kilometer they don't
really have a good idea of where we will "land."  Every 25 meters we
use chalk and mark of the side walk. It also gives them a feel for
larger numbers.   I design the ealk so we end up at a nearby park for
lunch.

Ina Feld

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question