From: Owen
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006082018:19:50
Subject: child has difficulty learning math

You did not explain what the test results are for your son.  Does his
LD put a cap on what he will be able to learn.  What are your
expectations of him and do they match his ability level.   Your post
does not give enough info to know if anything will help him.
   What I would do is find out what motivates him and what makes him
happy and use that as a reward for doing the homework.  I would use
DotMath for kids and dice to help him understand what numbers are.
You can get a free copy of The Fun Book from the web site at
(http://dotmath.tripod.com/)  (for personal use only)

   I would play a lot of fun games with the dice so he can learn how
to recognize the numbers from the dice.  I would have him color The
Fun Book so his work book could be his very own book.  I would have
hime do the work on every page of The Fun Book as often as he needed
until he can understand what a number is and where the number symbols
come from.  I would not expect anything from him that he is not
motivated to do.

   I would look up the web site for han-5 system for doing math on one
hand.  I would research every system I could if I had a child with a
LD because we need math every day of our lives and so will he.

   If you go to the DotMath web site you can get my email address and
ask more questions.

Owen

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question