From: Julie <jplatz.aljon@usinternet.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000090713:10:04
Subject: Re: Child with math difficulties

Dear Sharon,  I feel your frustration.  My son is ten years old and we
sit two hours every night, not just on math(although that is the
toughest) but social, english, spelling, etc.  He cries because he
just doesn't get it.  The second week of school, they are learning
about stem and leaf graphs. I had to call his teacher to ask about it
and have my son bring his supportive text home and I still did not
understand how to read them.  I went to my bedroom and cried because I
was so frustrated.  If parents don't understand, how are we suppose to
teach our children? I am not a genious in math but I can generally
figure things out after a bit of study.  However, I did call his
teacher and let her know how difficult math is for him and she
volunteered to tutor him after school each tuesday and thursday.  I
also requested a text book so I can reasearch ahead of time so that I
can help him more at home.  It is going to be very time consuming but
the investment is worth it.  I want him to suceed!  Good luck and keep
in touch if you can offer any suggestions! Julie

jplatz.aljon@usinternet.com

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®