Q&A #710

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Difficulty learning math

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Julie

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000090713:10:04
Subject: Re: Child with math difficulties

Dear Sharon, I feel your frustration. My son is ten years old and we sit two hours every night, not just on math(although that is the toughest) but social, english, spelling, etc. He cries because he just doesn't get it. The second week of school, they are learning about stem and leaf graphs. I had to call his teacher to ask about it and have my son bring his supportive text home and I still did not understand how to read them. I went to my bedroom and cried because I was so frustrated. If parents don't understand, how are we suppose to teach our children? I am not a genious in math but I can generally figure things out after a bit of study. However, I did call his teacher and let her know how difficult math is for him and she volunteered to tutor him after school each tuesday and thursday. I also requested a text book so I can reasearch ahead of time so that I can help him more at home. It is going to be very time consuming but the investment is worth it. I want him to suceed! Good luck and keep in touch if you can offer any suggestions! Julie jplatz.aljon@usinternet.com

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®