From: ECabbell <E1020Cholcolate@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002112414:26:53
Subject: Re: Child with math difficulties

As a special educator, I find that many of the children who are
classified ADD/ADHD need hands on manipulatives to comprehend abstract
math.  They have to use it in practical situations in order to
transfer it into their everyday life situations.
For example:  I would use food, would pieces of cardboard to show
parts of a whole.  Make a cake and cut it into various equal pieces
and indicate their value.  Then allow him/her to solve a problem using
the cake as his/her visual manipulative.  You may even make a puzzle
out of pizza with the same premise in mind or pieces of wood cut to
distinguish 1/4 from 3/4 etc.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®