Q&A #710

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Difficulty learning math

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: ECabbell

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002112414:26:53
Subject: Re: Child with math difficulties

As a special educator, I find that many of the children who are classified ADD/ADHD need hands on manipulatives to comprehend abstract math. They have to use it in practical situations in order to transfer it into their everyday life situations. For example: I would use food, would pieces of cardboard to show parts of a whole. Make a cake and cut it into various equal pieces and indicate their value. Then allow him/her to solve a problem using the cake as his/her visual manipulative. You may even make a puzzle out of pizza with the same premise in mind or pieces of wood cut to distinguish 1/4 from 3/4 etc.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®