From: De'Shawn Wright

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003062610:25:30
Subject: NYC Excelsior Teacher Initiative Recruitment

Dear Teacher: I am writing to tell you about a unique and exciting opportunity to become part of the largest public school system in the nation. The Excelsior Teacher Initiative (ETI), created to bring exceptional certified educators to teach in New York City public schools, seeks experienced teachers in shortage subject areas such as math, science, special education, Spanish, physical education, bilingual education, ESL and speech therapy. Hundreds of new and veteran teachers from around the NY area and the country have already applied to be part of this movement to teach in our city’s classrooms. As a former NYC public school teacher, I know firsthand the impact a dedicated educator can have on a student’s academic success. During my first year teaching sixth grade in New York, I was apprehensive about my ability to meet the needs of all my students and even more concerned about the limited time available to provide individual attention. But through cooperative learning projects and peer tutoring exercises, I was able to create a positive learning environment that promoted both academic achievement and personal growth. This is just one of the many challenges and successes I experienced in the classroom, but it demonstrates the positive outcomes which can result from seemingly insurmountable obstacles. The Excelsior Teacher Initiative aims to duplicate my experience – to place qualified educators in schools and communities where they are most needed in an effort to improve student achievement. ETI is a critical component of NYC Public Schools’ comprehensive Children First Initiative, as it supports the initiative’s goal to meet the demand for talented teachers in all NYC classrooms by this fall. It is ETI’s mission to provide all New York City students with access to the greatest team of educators imaginable. If you have the dedication and drive to meet the challenge of teaching in New York City and are seeking an opportunity to maximize your professional impact, I strongly encourage you to apply to ETI. The streamlined application process is quick and easy, and ETI staff are also helping candidates manage the licensing and certification paperwork. Other benefits of the program include intensive paid pre-service training, a network of support, and immediate opportunities to meet with principals. If you think ETI might be right for you, apply online now at www.ExcelsiorTeacherInitiative.org or e-mail excelsior@nycboe.net for additional information. Or please pass this message on to others who may be interested. Our final application deadline is July 21st. Thank you, De’Shawn Wright ETI Ambassador Former NYC middle school 6-8th grade teacher

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/