From: De'Shawn Wright <dwright@excelsiorteacherinitiative.org>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003062609:25:30
Subject: NYC Excelsior Teacher Initiative Recruitment

Dear Teacher:

I am writing to tell you about a unique and exciting opportunity to
become part of the largest public school system in the nation.  The
Excelsior Teacher Initiative (ETI), created to bring exceptional
certified educators to teach in New York City public schools, seeks
experienced teachers in shortage subject areas such as math, science,
special education, Spanish, physical education, bilingual education,
ESL and speech therapy.  Hundreds of new and veteran teachers from
around the NY area and the country have already applied to be part of
this movement to teach in our city’s classrooms.

As a former NYC public school teacher, I know firsthand the impact a
dedicated educator can have on a student’s academic success.  During
my first year teaching sixth grade in New York, I was apprehensive
about my ability to meet the needs of all my students and even more
concerned about the limited time available to provide individual
attention.  But through cooperative learning projects and peer
tutoring exercises, I was able to create a positive learning
environment that promoted both academic achievement and personal
growth. This is just one of the many challenges and successes I
experienced in the classroom, but it demonstrates the positive
outcomes which can result from seemingly insurmountable obstacles.

The Excelsior Teacher Initiative aims to duplicate my experience – to
place qualified educators in schools and communities where they are
most needed in an effort to improve student achievement.  ETI is a
critical component of NYC Public Schools’ comprehensive Children First
Initiative, as it supports the initiative’s goal to meet the demand
for talented teachers in all NYC classrooms by this fall.  It is ETI’s
mission to provide all New York City students with access to the
greatest team of educators imaginable.

If you have the dedication and drive to meet the challenge of teaching
in New York City and are seeking an opportunity to maximize your
professional impact, I strongly encourage you to apply to ETI.  The
streamlined application process is quick and easy, and ETI staff are
also helping candidates manage the licensing and certification
paperwork. Other benefits of the program include intensive paid
pre-service training, a network of support, and immediate
opportunities to meet with principals.

If you think ETI might be right for you, apply online now at
www.ExcelsiorTeacherInitiative.org or e-mail excelsior@nycboe.net for
additional information.  Or please pass this message on to others who
may be interested.  Our final application deadline is July 21st.

Thank you,

De’Shawn Wright
ETI Ambassador
Former NYC middle school 6-8th grade teacher

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/