From: Joan Albrecht <Joanalb@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004022617:03:27
Subject: Re: Array-Help

When you look at the arrays, consider how many blocks are in each row.
Then see count how many rows there are.  For example, there might be
one row of 36, so this would be a 1 by 36 array.  Then there might be
2 rows of 18, so this is a 2 by 18.  There is also a 3 by 12, a 4 by
9, and a 6 by 6.

Each of these numbers are factors of 36 because they are used in a
multiplication problem.  So the factors of 36 are:  1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 12,
18, 36.  I wrote them this way because once factors have been found,
we generally put them in a counting order.

What are the factors of 12.  Think:  How many different rectangles can
I make using 12 tiles (turns don't count)?

You can make a 1 by 12, a 2 by 6, and a 3 by 4.  So, now what are the
factors of 12?

1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 12

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question