From: Marissa <marissatroiano@verizon.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2012112714:51:35
Subject: An Array Defined

Hello everyone. Here is some more information about Arrays that I have
learned from my Elementary Education classes.

"An array is any arrangement of things in rows and columns, such as a
rectangle of square tiles or blocks (Van De Walle, 162)"

In other words, it is a visual form of multiplication. For example,
when I want to multiply 5 X 6, I could draw an array showing the
following:

5  X X X X X X  with 6 in each row
   X X X X X X
R  X X X X X X
O  X X X X X X
W  X X X X X X

This problem can be written as 5 rows of 6. Students can use repeated
addition for multiplication problems by adding 6+6+6+6+6+6=30

Here is a final example of an array for 3X17

  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

3x17 is the same as 3 Rows of 17 and can be written 17+17+17=51

Hope this information helps!