Q&A #7118

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: What is an array?

View entire discussion
[<< prev]

From: Marissa

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2012112714:51:35
Subject: An Array Defined

Hello everyone. Here is some more information about Arrays that I have learned from my Elementary Education classes. "An array is any arrangement of things in rows and columns, such as a rectangle of square tiles or blocks (Van De Walle, 162)" In other words, it is a visual form of multiplication. For example, when I want to multiply 5 X 6, I could draw an array showing the following: 5 X X X X X X with 6 in each row X X X X X X R X X X X X X O X X X X X X W X X X X X X S This problem can be written as 5 rows of 6. Students can use repeated addition for multiplication problems by adding 6+6+6+6+6+6=30 Here is a final example of an array for 3X17 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 3x17 is the same as 3 Rows of 17 and can be written 17+17+17=51 Hope this information helps! References Van De Walle, John A., Karen S. Karp, and Jennifer M. Bay-Williams. Elementary and Middle School Mathematics Teaching Developmentally: The Professional Development Edition. Upper Saddle River: Allyn & Bacon, 2012. Print.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®