From: Cynthia <lanius@rice.edu>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001121522:40:59
Subject: Re: Palindromic Problem

On 2001112822:27:33, Vince wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Here is the problem:
>
>Five college football players share the record for the longest pass.
>How many yards is the record pass?  The answer is a palindromic
>number.  Each digit is a square.
>
>I give up.  Is the answer 88?  Please help.
>
>Thanks

I don't think it could be 88 since 8 is not a square. But it might be
101 since 101 is palindromic and 1 and 0 are squares. I don't think
however that the answer is a unique number. It could also be 141 or
191, etc. There'd be infinitely many mathematical possibilities,
although not reasonable ones, perhaps.

Fun

Cynthia

Post a reply to this message