From: nancy <swartzn@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003081113:47:04
Subject: re: lack of skills for alg

I have taught math for over 20 years, and have learned that many of
the students do not know the skills needed for alg.  But having taught
at all levels, it does no good to "blame" the previous teacher.  Most
students have been taught the skills.  They just did not learn them.
Then after several years, they don't know them and are tired of seeing
them.  At the middle school level, I started to use games to review
those basic skills and found it to be highly successful.  When I was
in a small school, I was the math department and had no one to blame
but myself!!!!!

As the other teacher mentioned, when they need the skill make it
relevant and they will do their best if they know you care and are
fair with them

nancy

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question