From: nancy

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003081114:47:04
Subject: re: lack of skills for alg

I have taught math for over 20 years, and have learned that many of the students do not know the skills needed for alg. But having taught at all levels, it does no good to "blame" the previous teacher. Most students have been taught the skills. They just did not learn them. Then after several years, they don't know them and are tired of seeing them. At the middle school level, I started to use games to review those basic skills and found it to be highly successful. When I was in a small school, I was the math department and had no one to blame but myself!!!!! As the other teacher mentioned, when they need the skill make it relevant and they will do their best if they know you care and are fair with them nancy

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/