From: KDonovan <kim.donovan@comcast.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2013062802:51:39
Subject: Re: Teaching rounding to 4th graders

Rounding numbers

1.  Underline the place value that you are rounding. Round to the
nearest hundreds. EX. 563   Underline the five and put an upside arrow
over the six.

2.  Put an arrow at the top of next number.

3.  Did the five have a birthday?

4.  Look at the six and if it is 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4.  It did not have a
birthday.

5.  Look at the six and if it is 5,6,7,8, or 9.  It had a birthday.

6.  All numbers including the arrow get zeros.

Kids understand birthdays.  Ever since I taught it this way, I do not
have kids changing the five to a four.  It makes sense.

Before I ever teach rounding, I use manipulatives to teach which is
closer to 1 and 10 or 1 and 100.
Try the birthday idea.  It really works.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/