From: Ryan <rjeffers@loudoun.gov>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005092622:17:58
Subject: Re: Rounding

To teach rounding I made up a story for my fifth graders who are in my
remedial math class. The week before we focus on place value and worth
of a number. With that, the kids are very good at finding the number
we are going to be rounding to, yet they don't know what to do once
there. I told them that the numbers are just a bunch of kids. Like
kids, they make fun of each other and say things like "Grow up!" So
once we are at the underlined number we spend half of the class
looking at the number to the RIGHT! We scream that a few times and
then listen to what this number says. He the number to the right)
makes fun of the underlined number as says to him "Grow Up" The
underlined number only "listens" and grows up if the number to the
right is a "big kid like 5 or up" so we make the underlined number
"grow up" by adding one to him. The number to the right then gets
scared for telling people to grow up that he and his friends "run away
and hide as zeros" If the number to the right is "younger" 0-4 the
underlined number doesn't listen to a "baby!!! and therefore doesn't
change.It seems long and drawn out but it seems to be something their
sibilings both younger and older say to them so the story is
relatible. I hope this helps.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®