From: Ryan

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005092623:17:58
Subject: Re: Rounding

To teach rounding I made up a story for my fifth graders who are in my remedial math class. The week before we focus on place value and worth of a number. With that, the kids are very good at finding the number we are going to be rounding to, yet they don't know what to do once there. I told them that the numbers are just a bunch of kids. Like kids, they make fun of each other and say things like "Grow up!" So once we are at the underlined number we spend half of the class looking at the number to the RIGHT! We scream that a few times and then listen to what this number says. He the number to the right) makes fun of the underlined number as says to him "Grow Up" The underlined number only "listens" and grows up if the number to the right is a "big kid like 5 or up" so we make the underlined number "grow up" by adding one to him. The number to the right then gets scared for telling people to grow up that he and his friends "run away and hide as zeros" If the number to the right is "younger" 0-4 the underlined number doesn't listen to a "baby!!! and therefore doesn't change.It seems long and drawn out but it seems to be something their sibilings both younger and older say to them so the story is relatible. I hope this helps.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/