From: Trevor Doyle <dhuill@earthlink.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2010040115:44:16
Subject: Re: rounding to hundredth or thousandth

The best I have seen to teach hundredth etc islike this:

Round to the thousandth 1.26763

Write the number down:   1.26763

                                         1
Write the number one over the decimal:  1.26763

                                    1000
Now write the three zeros to 1000  1.26763

it stops a seven, that is the number you are rounding

Take the seven and the number to the right:  76

Now write 70-76-80 which side is it close to?  80

now write its as 1.26800 and get ride of the zeros.

1.268 answer

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®