From: Loyd <loydlin@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004092611:35:31
Subject: Re: Re: rounding to the nearest ten thousand

A slight correction to my last post.  When you are rounding to the
nearest 10 thousand place you are technically adding 5000 vice 5 to
the thousand place.  For example:

 999,533
  +5,000
----------
1004,533--->1,000,000 rounded.

So, if you are rounding to the 10 thousand place, add 5000.  If you
are rounding to the nearest 100, add 50 and so on.

Of course you could also add 10,000 if your are rounding to the
nearest ten thousand.  That gives the same answer as adding 5000 to
the place at the right.

In either case, all the digits to the right of the place being rounded
to become zero.

Place rounding to  |  place to the right
10,000             |  add 5000
1,000              |  add 500
100                |  add 50
10                 |  add 5