Q&A #7392

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: How do I teach rounding to fourth graders who just don't seem to get it?

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Betty Pennington

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007091722:56:57
Subject: rounding to the greatest place

My grandson (of whom I have custody) is in the fourth grade. His homework last night called for rounding to the greatest place. Here is the problem: 17 73 289 27 The answer (which we got wrong) was 420 17 to 20 73 to 80 289 to 290 27 to 30 Is that you way you would come up with it, or would be it to round the 289 to 300. I really can't see rounding 73 to 80 or rounding 289 to 300. I thought the answer would be 410. It has been a while since I was in school, but I have a BSE and hold a current teaching certification althought not it math, but I was always pretty good at math. I sure don't understand this new stuff where you don't round to tenths or hundredths etc, but greatest place? This is very confusing for me, much less a fourth grader.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®