From: Teri Lawson <lawsont@peoplescom.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002020123:49:33
Subject: Teaching rounding to 4th graders

In a moment of desperation, I once created the "UZA" (pronounced ooza)
method of rounding.  The name is catchy, and helps kids remember.  It
is an acronym for "Underline, Zero, Arrow".

I have them first decide which number that they're rounding to.  When
they find the number (for example, the hundred's place), I have them
underline it.  ("U").

Next, they mark through every number to the right of the underlined
number, and write zero's for underneath each number.  ("Z").

They then draw an arrow ("A") from the underlined number to the number
to the right, and examine it, asking themselves, is this number
greater than 4?  If it is, add one to the underlined number, if it
isn't, leave it alone.  Then write the number beside the zeros.  As we
work, we repeat the UZA code.

I loved the duck story idea, and will use that first, next time. The
story, numberline examples, and UZA should get the point across.  Good
luck!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®