Q&A #7392

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: How do I teach rounding to fourth graders who just don't seem to get it?

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Teri Lawson

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002020123:49:33
Subject: Teaching rounding to 4th graders

In a moment of desperation, I once created the "UZA" (pronounced ooza) method of rounding. The name is catchy, and helps kids remember. It is an acronym for "Underline, Zero, Arrow". I have them first decide which number that they're rounding to. When they find the number (for example, the hundred's place), I have them underline it. ("U"). Next, they mark through every number to the right of the underlined number, and write zero's for underneath each number. ("Z"). They then draw an arrow ("A") from the underlined number to the number to the right, and examine it, asking themselves, is this number greater than 4? If it is, add one to the underlined number, if it isn't, leave it alone. Then write the number beside the zeros. As we work, we repeat the UZA code. I loved the duck story idea, and will use that first, next time. The story, numberline examples, and UZA should get the point across. Good luck!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®