From: gerald hodges <hodg1jg@cmich.edu>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002120715:35:05
Subject: Re: Which way is correct?

Cliff,  I just learned about "compatible numbers" which are numbers
like 10 and 30 (i.e. they are easy to add, subtract, multiply or
divide).  25 is a compatible number because it is easily associated
with a quarter.  Two quarters = 50 cents and two 25's = 50 so I would
teach the 4th graders to round to the nearest compatible number for 25
and 26 to get a good estimate of the answer.  Hope this is helpful.
Gerald

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®