From: greta <messenger@softcom.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002041014:04:36
Subject: here's what I do

In order to prepare the class for receiving answers that may not be
correct, I show them that there are many ways to solve problems. I
start this at the beginning of the school year.  When we solve
problems on the overhead using the textbook method, I ask the class if
there was anyone who solved it differently? There is usually 2-3
different ways that students come up with their answers. I call them
up to the overhead to show us how they did it and talk their way
through it so we can hear how they are thinking. At first, the kids
were amazed to learn that they don't all think the same way; that they
use different strategies to solve problems.  Once we have become
familiar with the way each other thinks, then, when a student give the
wrong answer, the class helps the student figure out where they went
wrong. Works like a charm.  The students' wrong answer is respected
and redirected.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®