Q&A #7446

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Respect for different answers

View entire discussion
[<< prev]

From: Shannon

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002061107:03:16
Subject: Re: Respect for different answers--in ALL classes

I can nearly always find something right about the person's answer; sometimes, the best I can find to say is, "ok, tell me more about what you mean; (then when I see that the person really doesn't understand, I may say, "not quite, but you're doing a great job by thinking about it, participating, and paying attention. Also, I know others are thinking the same, but you are being a very good student by participating out loud! And you are also helping me be a better teacher because now I know a little more about what I need to teach to the kids! Thank you! :-) " When a student is constantly destructive or critical of others' work, I'd say if after speaking to the student a few times both publicly and privately, send the kid to the counsling or psychologist's office or ask for a "Burks" form, a Behavior Rating Scale that will help the School Psychologist triage the student. If the student publicly berates a classmate, I usually turn around, look directly into the person's eyes, and scold them clearly in front of everybody else, "I am 31 years old and I am learning how to skateboard. Think about that for a minute. What's going to happen do you think? They always say, "fall down." I say, "that's correct, and guess what, I don't want a bunch of people laughing at me. How about you come up here, I give you a calculus problem or a sentence to diagram and then I'll laugh at you in front of the whole class, ok? You want to do that?" They usually say no, for which I'm glad, since I don't remember how to diagram a sentence or how to do calculus, LOL... It usually wrks; I just have to really jump on certain kids sometinmes.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®