Q&A #770

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: least common multiple (LCM)

View entire discussion

From: Loyd

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2011083111:52:12
Subject: Least Common Multiple

Just adding a note to what Gail calls skip counting. I have taught in several learning centers and also in literacy council classes. I have always used this method for teaching LCM. For example to find the LCM of 7 and 8, you can count as follows: 7, 14, 21, 28, 35, 42, 49, 56 8, 16, 24, 32, 40, 48, 56 We got a match with 56, so that is the Least Common Multiple. This is also good practice for learning multiplication facts. I have ran across several students (including adult students) who still didn't know multiplication facts. So, for them it might be good practice. I am not suggesting you use a calculator, but some calculators will do skip counting by entering 0 and then enter + 5 for example and then repeatedly pushing =. Some calculators won't do this, such as the CASIO fx-260 which is approved for GED tests . But I have one that will skip count even if you are skipping in binary, octal, hexadecimal or decimal. That calculator is the LeWorld 250. For example if you want to skip count by 5's using binary you would change to Binary and enter 0+101 and repeatedly press = and it will count by 5's in binary. Then when you press 2nd F followed by DEC it converts to Decimal. Maybe not especially good for the entire class but maybe it would be good for one of those bored students that is way ahead of the rest of the class. The best way to learn anything is to enjoy learning it. Some students will enjoy it and others won't.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®