Teacher2Teacher

Q&A #841

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Mathematics and anxiety

View entire discussion

From: owen

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007120317:52:37
Subject: Math Anxiety

It has been my experience that people have anxiety from anything they do not understand. Children do not need math when in k-4. We are tring to teach them something they will need when they are older. When there is no imediate and practical aplication for math it is hard to get motivated to learn it. I think another cause of math anxiety is that very few people know or understand basic math(I am sorry to say that this includes many teachers). It is not easy to teach something when you do not know or understand it yourself. Many teachers had a major in one field and then are told to teach math when it was a minor or not taken at all. There are many system and people that claim they have something that teaches math. I find most of them have a very narrow scope and need resourse material to help fill in concpets that are not defined well enough. I made some resourse material that can help a student understand math that is fun and easy. I think this help reduce the anxiety level becuase they do not get stressed feeling like they must do a task they do not understand. you can get free color charts (k-4) from the DotMath for kids web site. to find the site type in DotMath for kids into the google search bar. There is a help tab to explain the basics. I hope this helps you. Owen

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/