Teacher2Teacher

Q&A #841

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Mathematics and anxiety

View entire discussion

From: owen <owenbprince@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007120316:52:37
Subject: Math Anxiety

It has been my experience that people have anxiety from anything they
do not understand.  Children do not need math when in k-4.  We are
tring to teach them something they will need when they are older.
When there is no imediate and practical aplication for math it is hard
to get motivated to learn it.  I think another cause of math anxiety
is that very few people know or understand basic math(I am sorry to
say that this includes many teachers).  It is not easy to teach
something when you do not know or understand it yourself.  Many
teachers had a major in one field and then are told to teach math when
it was a minor or not taken at all.  There are many system and people
that claim they have something that teaches math.  I find most of them
have a very narrow scope and need resourse material to help fill in
concpets that are not defined well enough.

  I made some resourse material that can help a student understand
math that is fun and easy.  I think this help reduce the anxiety level
becuase they do not get stressed feeling like they must do a task they
do not understand.

you can get  free color charts (k-4) from the  DotMath for kids  web
site. to find the site type in   DotMath for kids into the google
search bar.  There is a help tab to explain the basics.

I hope this helps you.

Owen

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question