From: Loyd

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2010081214:45:10
Subject: Re: RATIO AND PROPORTION LESSON PLAN

On 2010061511:19:39, Alicia wrote: >Hi there > >I am doing maths as a student. I now need to work out a lesson plan on >Ratio and Proportion, Grade 8 or 9. I do not know where to begin. I >would appreciate a example of a lesson plan on Ratio and proportion, >just to see what is expected in a lesson plan of ratio and proportion? >Any help would be appreciated! > >I also need to determine the (1) mathematical goals for the lesson >plan? I have no idea what the mathematical goals are for ratio and >proprortion? Also need to determine the (2) lesson goals and (3) >lesson objectives. Could you please explain to me what is meant by >(1), (2) and (3) and give examples of each for ratio and proportion? >Where does learning outcomes and aims fit in to (1), (2) and (3) or is >it something different? > >So confused! Any help would be appreciated! > >Thank you > >Alicia > > You can come up with a lesson plan but here are some typical ratio and proportion problems that I have found useful in life. I took these from problem sheets I developed several years ago on Power point. When in college (before calculators were invented) I used a circular slide rule in chemistry class that was great for ratio and proportion problems. Many chemistry problems can be solved by ratio and proportions. Also, ratio and proportion is great for similar triangles. 1. A map scale has 1 inch representing 50 miles. Use ratio and proportion to determine how many miles 7 inches represent.______. 2. Eggs are 96 cents a dozen. Use ratio and proportion to determine the cost of one egg.______. How much does 13 eggs cost?______. 3. On level ground, a tall tree casts a shadow 50 feet long. Bill, who is 6 feet tall, casts a shadow that is 2 feet long. How tall is the tree?_____. 4. Your car gets 24 miles to each gallon while driving on rural interstate highways. How many gallons of gas will a trip require that is 595 miles? Use calculator to solve and write the answer to the nearest tenth of a gallon.______. 5. One inch is exactly 2.54 centimeters (cm). Use ratio and proportion to find the number of inches in 100 cm (100 cm=1 meter). 6. One inch is exactly 2.54 centimeters (cm). Find the number of cm in 36 inches and record your answer as cm and meters (m).______ cm, _____m. 7. A store lists the price of an 52 ounce jar of spaghetti sauce as $2.22. What would you expect a smaller 37 ounce jar to sell for. Use ratio and proportion. You may use a calculator._______. The smaller jar sells for $1.65. Is that a bargain?______. 8. Unit price of an item is cost divided by number of units. By comparing unit price, you can select the best buy. What is the unit cost for a 9 0z jar of jelly that sells for $1.08?_________. A larger 16 ounce jar sells for $2.08. What is the unit cost of a 16 oz jar that sells for $2.08?__________. Which is the best buy?__________. 9. I can walk 4 miles per hour (mph). 30 miles per hour (mph) is 44 feet per second (fps). How many feet per second is 4 miles per hour? Use ratio and proportion to solve. Show your work._____.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/