From: Alex <ACraig4678@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005110514:24:40
Subject: Solving algebraic equations

Hello to you all,
                  I live in Scotland and I remember my early secondary
high school algebra days.
When I was 14, way back in the early 60's teachers just wrote
algebraic equations up on the blackboard and expected youngsters to
'do it' I was a youngster who couldn't do it.............no clue!
Over the years the cloud vanished and I found it so easy.
This is what I told my kids

Put all the unknowns to the LHS and all the numbers to the RHS, and if
you jump sides, change your sign,  so for example, you have something
like 5x + 4 = 2x + 16, solve for x, this is how you do it EVERY TIME

5x - 2x = 16 - 4
3x = 12
x = 12/3 = 4

No matter what your numbers are OR what SIGN is in front of them USE
the same method and it works every time.

Good Luck

Regards
Alex

Post a reply to this message