From: Patrick Schmidt

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2013101218:10:52
Subject: Properties of Equations

Hi, This is a terminology question. Growing up I learned the general rule "What you do to one side of the equation, you must do to the other side!" So I am tutoring a student and encounter a textbook listing reflexive, symmetric, transitive, substitution properties along with additive identity and additive inverse, commutative, and associative properties. How would I use these properties to justify saying a = b implies a + c = b + c? Or do I need some additional property to complete the proof?

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/