From: Patrick Schmidt <schmidt.patrick@insightbb.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2013101217:10:52
Subject: Properties of Equations

Hi,
This is a terminology question.
Growing up I learned the general rule "What you do to one side of the
equation, you must do to the other side!"  So I am tutoring a student
and encounter a textbook listing reflexive, symmetric, transitive,
substitution properties along with additive identity and additive
inverse, commutative, and associative properties.

How would I use these properties to justify saying a = b implies a + c
= b + c?  Or do I need some additional property to complete the proof?

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/