From: jesseka3223 <jessekamomof2@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005102719:31:31
Subject: Re: Only adding...

What kids find the hardest is -4--4 because when you change this to
addition it becomes -4+4 and out of laziness, confusion (or both) they
forget to follow the rules for addition using the "new" signs.  I have
taugh this with little + and - signs as manipulatives and kids still
struggle.  This is one of the many concepts that I get very frustrated
teaching because it feels like some kids will just never get it.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/