From: Nora <nora.ramirez@domail.maricopa.edu>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002121502:08:26
Subject: integers

Your original question about -4 - -4 can also be explained by thinking
about the two different meanings of subtraction, take away and
difference.
Take away:  if you have -4 and take away -4 you are left with zero

Difference:  What is the difference of -4 and -4?  Zero

I regret that when I was learning about integers I never thought of
problems like this but simply applied the rule.  In the problem -12-
-3 you can take away -3 from -12 and are left with -9. No rule needs
to be applied-simply common sense.  Yes, math does make sense!!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/