From: Amy <amypooh321@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003050812:41:16
Subject: Only adding...

This might be an odd concept to follow, but I think of integers this
way:

There really is no subtraction, only addition.  If you can add, you
can do all integer problems.

Ex.

4--4 = 4+4
-4-4 = -4+-4
4-4 = 4+-4

If kids can see how to change all problems into addition, integers
become much easier.

Also, explain them in terms of money:

"If I owe Jim $4 (-4) and I owe Sue $5 (-5)  how much do I owe?  $9
Well, owe is a negative thing so you are at -9.

I didn't write this very well, but my class really seems to get it
this way.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®