From: Jackie <bobby.young@insightbb.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004112320:52:12
Subject: Re: Re: What is chicago math? and what are the pros and cons of its use?

  I am a parent and a former special education teacher.  Before my
daughter went into the first grade I felt she was advanced in math.
She was very good at math.  I would give her two digit subtraction and
addition problems and she would do them with no problem.  I felt boy,
she is going to kick butt in math.  I was so proud.  This is until
Everyday math came along.  I absolutely hate this program.  First
graders do not have the logical thinking this program requires.  There
are brief teachings of several types of math problems.  No
reinforcement or repetitiveness to improve skills.  I need more
patients than I have when trying to teach my child.  Is anyone
frustrated like I am?  It isn't her fault.  Her brain is not yet
developed in a matter to have such deep thinking skills. So, why in
the world would anyone create a program like this for all first
graders?

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®