Q&A #963

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Chicago Math program

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Jackie

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004112320:52:12
Subject: Re: Re: What is chicago math? and what are the pros and cons of its use?

I am a parent and a former special education teacher. Before my daughter went into the first grade I felt she was advanced in math. She was very good at math. I would give her two digit subtraction and addition problems and she would do them with no problem. I felt boy, she is going to kick butt in math. I was so proud. This is until Everyday math came along. I absolutely hate this program. First graders do not have the logical thinking this program requires. There are brief teachings of several types of math problems. No reinforcement or repetitiveness to improve skills. I need more patients than I have when trying to teach my child. Is anyone frustrated like I am? It isn't her fault. Her brain is not yet developed in a matter to have such deep thinking skills. So, why in the world would anyone create a program like this for all first graders?

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®