From: donna <dprice@ga.prestige.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001052622:59:46
Subject: great results

	I just wanted to let everyone know that I have just finished a pilot
of Everyday Math for a year.  My class of heterogeneously grouped
fourth graders did phenominal on their ITBS this spring.  They were so
far ahead of everyone else who was using a traditional textbook it was
not even funny.  I was not frustrated by this text at all, but then
again I have been involved with math reform for the last 12 years.  I
think Everyday Math has true integrity unlike traditional textbooks.
My class enjoyed the series and saw value in the various
non-traditional algorithms used.  Never in my life of teaching fourth
graders has the process of division gone so smoothly.  Before this
series I tried every "trick" in the book to get children to remember
the steps to division, but I always had quite a few when the subject
was left and then reviewd a couple of weeks later would totally foget
the division process. This year my children thought division was a
cinch and on the ITBS they proved it was.
     I think many people in this country are not ready for true math
reform and want to hold on to the notion of what they know of
mathematics. You have to be ready to want to change your phiosophy of
mathematics education or this series won't work.  I watched as 4 other
teachers in our building had their eyes totally opened and turned on
by what they saw happening in their rooms.  In first and second grade
they were floored by what children could do with math and how quickly
they understood.  Granted, our Title 1 and ESOL students struggled
more with this program, but they proved too that  when given the
chance could achieve more than we expected.
     The extra bonus of this program is not that they are doing
something that is gimmicky, but the mathematics they are learning is
so much better than the rule and rote oriented mathematics of many
traditional texts. Children have to think, reason and problem solve
when they are involved with this series.  Somehow I don't see this as
a bad thing.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®