From: shelli <jscmetc@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002111021:33:26
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: great results

I'm actually excited to see that other's around the country are
frustrated by this curriculum! It confirms my views about the program!

I taught Chicago Math for 6 years, only because it was mandated by our
district. CM is actually great for higher level students who have
"life experiences" to draw from. However, average to low students do
not do well with this curriculum. Many of these kids are failing the
state standardized test....they have gaps in their skills!!! These
children need to rote and repetition in order to master skills before
moving onto a new concept in which they are expected to apply these
skills.
I am now a school psychologist and am campaigning against the powers
in existence to make these changes! We have recently adopted (which
was a political fight) a new curriculum for our resource students in
order that we fill in the gaps! We need this for all our kids!
Research strongly supports this. Chicago Math research appears to be
weak, specifically when the program is applied to socially
economically disadvantaged students and "slow learners"!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/