From: shelli

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002111021:33:26
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: great results

I'm actually excited to see that other's around the country are frustrated by this curriculum! It confirms my views about the program! I taught Chicago Math for 6 years, only because it was mandated by our district. CM is actually great for higher level students who have "life experiences" to draw from. However, average to low students do not do well with this curriculum. Many of these kids are failing the state standardized test....they have gaps in their skills!!! These children need to rote and repetition in order to master skills before moving onto a new concept in which they are expected to apply these skills. I am now a school psychologist and am campaigning against the powers in existence to make these changes! We have recently adopted (which was a political fight) a new curriculum for our resource students in order that we fill in the gaps! We need this for all our kids! Research strongly supports this. Chicago Math research appears to be weak, specifically when the program is applied to socially economically disadvantaged students and "slow learners"!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/