From: Jim

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002112008:51:10
Subject: Re: amazing test results in our school 4th grde assessments

I am curious about the test that your children are excelling on. Are these state or local tests? If they are state tests, would you be willing to tell us what state they are? The state tests differ greatly from one state to another in terms of the type of thinking and skill that is needed for success. If the state tests are built on the same philosophy as the Chicago math series, then we can expect excellent test results. On the other hand, if a state test measures low-level skills like meaningless procedural performance, then the Chicago math series is teaching for something different. Of course, students who learn to understand math and think their way through problems will also perform well on low-level skills, but probably not any better than their peers who were trained on low-level skills only. BTW, the New York State mathematics tests are, in my opinion, aligned well with the Chicago math series. JS

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/