Q&A #963

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Chicago Math program

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Tina Bellar

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003010714:52:47
Subject: Re: Chicago Math has Failed my two Daughters

Amen and thank you! I read all the accolades for Chicago Math and began to wonder what my problem was. I taught (tried to) 8th graders in Central Florida from this series and their low reading levels and the complicated word problems (in Chap 1 no less) were a deadly combination. We finally traded them to another school and the old Keedy, Bittinger Algebra books turned out to be the perfect match. Now I use the '94 model Keedy, Bittinger Addison Wesley book and it is wonderful. I use it in two honors classes of 8th graders, and the high school teachers I meet always thank me for sending them students well prepared for Alg II and Geometry. These fine texts provided great basic teaching in a user friendly book. I had used these authors myself at the Community College level when I went back to school and I think I will always look for one or both of those authors and fight for them at Textbook Adoption time.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®