From: Tina Bellar <mrsblar@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003010713:52:47
Subject: Re: Chicago Math has Failed my two Daughters

Amen and thank you!  I read all the accolades for Chicago Math
and began to wonder what my problem was. I taught (tried to) 8th
graders in Central Florida from this series and their low reading
levels and the complicated word problems (in Chap 1 no less) were a
deadly combination.  We finally traded them to another school and the
old Keedy, Bittinger Algebra books turned out to be the perfect match.
Now I use the '94 model Keedy, Bittinger Addison Wesley book and it is
wonderful.  I use it in two honors classes of 8th graders, and the
high school teachers I meet always thank me for sending them students
well prepared for Alg II and Geometry.  These fine texts provided
great basic teaching in a user friendly book.  I had used these
authors myself at the Community College level when I went back to
school and I think I will always look for one or both of those authors
and fight for them at Textbook Adoption time.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/