From: Ralph (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Dec 13, 2002 at 10:21:25
Subject: Re: Mental arithmetic problem for teacher

Dear EGK,

Since you say you have a "good ability to discuss, simplify, and explain
topics", then it's clear you would ALSO have the ability to do mental math
effectively--the only thing missing at this point are some strategies to
consider, and some practice employing them.

I would suggest you obtaining and perusing three very well written books on
the topic:

Mental Mathematics in the Primary Grades
Mental Mathematics in the Middle Grades (Gr. 4-6)
Mental Mathematics in Junior High (Gr. 7-9)

The authors are Barbara Reys, Robert Reys, and Jack Hope, and the books are
published by Dale Seymour Publications.  You can find descriptive and
ordering information on the books by going to this website:

http://www.pearsonlearning.com/

Click on "Mathematics" and then "Number/Number Sense" to find the above titles
in the alphabetized list under that heading.

I am confident that once you start exploring the variety of simple, but
effective strategies available for developing mental math skills that you
will discover that you indeed ARE quite capable of doing mental mathematics,
and thus your chosen career path of teaching is quite fine!  :)

Have fun, and good luck,

 -Ralph, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question