Q&A #10094

Mental arithmetic problem for teacher

View entire discussion

From: Ralph (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Dec 13, 2002 at 10:21:25
Subject: Re: Mental arithmetic problem for teacher

Dear EGK, Since you say you have a "good ability to discuss, simplify, and explain topics", then it's clear you would ALSO have the ability to do mental math effectively--the only thing missing at this point are some strategies to consider, and some practice employing them. I would suggest you obtaining and perusing three very well written books on the topic: Mental Mathematics in the Primary Grades Mental Mathematics in the Middle Grades (Gr. 4-6) Mental Mathematics in Junior High (Gr. 7-9) The authors are Barbara Reys, Robert Reys, and Jack Hope, and the books are published by Dale Seymour Publications. You can find descriptive and ordering information on the books by going to this website: http://www.pearsonlearning.com/ Click on "Mathematics" and then "Number/Number Sense" to find the above titles in the alphabetized list under that heading. I am confident that once you start exploring the variety of simple, but effective strategies available for developing mental math skills that you will discover that you indeed ARE quite capable of doing mental mathematics, and thus your chosen career path of teaching is quite fine! :) Have fun, and good luck, -Ralph, for the T2T service Thanks for visiting our on-line community. Visit Teacher2Teacher again at http://mathforum.org/t2t/

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®