From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Dec 13, 2002 at 09:23:45
Subject: Re: History of mathematics

Hi Laura, There is a modern-day person from Colombia contributing to math history that you might find interesting. His name is Jaime Garcia Serrano. You can read more about him if you scroll down to June 1, 2001 on this page: http://www.theotherlookofcolombia.com/news.html His homepage is here: http://www.jaimegarcia.com/index1.htm I also found this information: GARAVITO ARMERO, Julio (1865-1920) Colombian educator, mathematician, astronomer, physicist. Born on January 5, 1865 in Bogota, he was educated at the School of Engineering in Bogota. His work in mathematical physics are or great interest. He studied the intensity of the earth's magnetic field. He established the fundamental formula of the movement of liquids, and he made important applications to hydraulics. He perfected the physical theory of the refraction of liquids (1912). In chemistry he combined the known laws of organic chemistry with inorganic chemistry. He studied the general solution of algebraic equations. As an astronomer he determined variations of planetary orbits in 1893. He generalized the law of university gravity of the stars, simplified the calculus of the paths of the heavenly bodies and he determined the parabolic orbit of some comets. He was one of the first scientists to protest Einstein's theory of relativity. An economist he wrote many pamphlets such as Economic Affairs (1910); Evolution and the Distribution of Wealth (1912); and Fiscal Crisis (1919). He died in Bogota on March 11, 1920. on this page: http://www.philately.com/philately/biogaga.htm and then I found: http://pages.infinit.net/internet/garavito/garavito.htm Another modern-day mathematician from Colombia is Carlos Vasco: http://www.furb.br/xi-ciaem/ing/galeria_main.htm I hope you find some of that information useful. -Suzanne A., for the T2T service Thanks for visiting our on-line community. Visit Teacher2Teacher again at http://mathforum.org/t2t/

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/