From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jan 02, 2003 at 11:42:01
Subject: Re: Passing the GED

Dear Nikki,

Well, I think you've passed the first hurdle - you're ready to find help! I
hope that I can offer you some suggestions. There are some GED preparation
books that you might consider. Here are some that are available through
Amazon.com:

  Review for the Mathematics Section of the GED Test
  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1560301430/themathforum/

  Complete GED Preparation
  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/081149893X/themathforum/

  Complete GED Preparation (Complete GED Preparation)
  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0739828371/themathforum/

I'm sure there are others, too. There is quite a market for such things. For
fun, I searched using Google and I found these online preparation sites:

  General Educational Development
  http://www.gedonline.org/

  Free Education - GED Preparation
  http://www.free-ed.net/fr10/

  GED Testing Service
  http://www.acenet.edu/calec/ged/

There were others, too. Just search for "GED preparation" on http://google.com

Another idea would be to use some of the resources on the Math Forum site. For
example, you could browse the Ask Dr. Math archive. I would start here:

  http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/drmath.elem.html

and then continue through these levels:

  http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/drmath.middle.html
  http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/drmath.high.html

You might also use the archive in combination to what you work on in one of
your books or CDs. For example, if you are trying to understand adding
fractions, you could use the search page:

  http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/mathgrepform.html

and type in      add fraction
and you will have returned a variety of Ask Dr. Math archived pages that deal
with that specific topic.

Another area of the Math Forum site that you might find helpful is the
Problems Library. Here you can read problems but also read through solutions
that others have written. Again, I would start with the Elementary level
questions and work your way up. The Problems Library is here:

  http://mathforum.org/library/problems/

If you are interested in actually trying some problems and being mentored,
check out our Problems of the Week:

  http://mathforum.org/pow/

Math Fundamentals might be good to start with. There are no age requirements
on any of the problems. We hope students of any age will try the problem that
matches the math that they are working on at the moment. You'll find that
problem here:

  http://mathforum.org/funpow/

I hope some of these ideas are helpful. Good luck!

 -Suzanne A., for the T2T service

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/