Q&A #10185

Passing the GED

View entire discussion

From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jan 02, 2003 at 11:42:01
Subject: Re: Passing the GED

Dear Nikki, Well, I think you've passed the first hurdle - you're ready to find help! I hope that I can offer you some suggestions. There are some GED preparation books that you might consider. Here are some that are available through Amazon.com: Review for the Mathematics Section of the GED Test http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1560301430/themathforum/ Complete GED Preparation http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/081149893X/themathforum/ Complete GED Preparation (Complete GED Preparation) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0739828371/themathforum/ I'm sure there are others, too. There is quite a market for such things. For fun, I searched using Google and I found these online preparation sites: General Educational Development http://www.gedonline.org/ Free Education - GED Preparation http://www.free-ed.net/fr10/ GED Testing Service http://www.acenet.edu/calec/ged/ There were others, too. Just search for "GED preparation" on http://google.com Another idea would be to use some of the resources on the Math Forum site. For example, you could browse the Ask Dr. Math archive. I would start here: http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/drmath.elem.html and then continue through these levels: http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/drmath.middle.html http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/drmath.high.html You might also use the archive in combination to what you work on in one of your books or CDs. For example, if you are trying to understand adding fractions, you could use the search page: http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/mathgrepform.html and type in add fraction and you will have returned a variety of Ask Dr. Math archived pages that deal with that specific topic. Another area of the Math Forum site that you might find helpful is the Problems Library. Here you can read problems but also read through solutions that others have written. Again, I would start with the Elementary level questions and work your way up. The Problems Library is here: http://mathforum.org/library/problems/ If you are interested in actually trying some problems and being mentored, check out our Problems of the Week: http://mathforum.org/pow/ Math Fundamentals might be good to start with. There are no age requirements on any of the problems. We hope students of any age will try the problem that matches the math that they are working on at the moment. You'll find that problem here: http://mathforum.org/funpow/ I hope some of these ideas are helpful. Good luck! -Suzanne A., for the T2T service Thanks for visiting our on-line community. Visit Teacher2Teacher again at http://mathforum.org/t2t/

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®