From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jan 18, 1999 at 18:16:01
Subject: Re: Changing career from engineer to teacher

You are certainly the type of person that we need to be interested in
teaching mathematics.  I do have some thoughts.

Get in contact with the school from which your graduated.  If this college
has an education department, contact this department and ask for some
suggestions.

Get in contact with the Department of Education in the state in which you
wish to teach.  Ask for the Science/mathematics Supervisor or Coordinator to
see about your background.  Ask for the license/certification department to
see about what you would have to do to qualify.

Get in touch with a school district that looks like the type of place you
might like to teach.  Ask if you could attend school for one day and be put
in touch with the department chairman.   If you do not like the school that
you first meet ask your working colleagues for suggestions on other school
systems.

Read the recent Time magazine on outstanding schools in the United States.
I was very impressed by both the research as well as the presentation of
outstanding schools and why they were outstanding.

Ask the Department of Education if they have a special school for gifted and
talented math/science students.  With your background this might be a place
that not only you would find interesting but they might also be interested
in you.

If the public system has too many requirements for you, check out private
and independent schools.  These types of schools do not always have the same
requirements as public schools for teacher employment.

Good luck.

 -Marielouise, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/