From: Cindy Wilkins (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jun 04, 1998 at 16:56:13
Subject: Re: Montessori Math "to the power of" - exponents

As a Montessori teacher and a public school teacher, I was intrigued and
dismayed by your question. The entire foundation of Montessori education is to
prepare the classroom environment in such a way as to stimulate a child's
natural curiosity about the world. Also, lessons are to be taught from the
concrete to the abstract. It seems as if your son's teacher skipped the
concrete and went to the semi-abstract. It is only through the concrete
activities that interest and excitement of learning have a chance to develop.

Although circumstances prevent me from teaching Montessori now, I insert
Montessori activities and teaching structure into my public school classes at
every opportunity. One activity that I've found helpful and enjoyable comes
from "Mathematics Teacher."

Tape two pieces of construction paper together so that the resulting rectangle
is as long and narrow as possible. Find or make several sheets of grid paper -
I like 2 cm square paper the best. You are going to make a model of the powers
of 2.

First, cut out a 2 x 1 rectangle. This represents 2^1. Glue it onto the paper,
midway between top and bottom of the sheet (once you've read the entire
activity, you'll be better able to visualize where the best position is for
this first placement). Above this rectangle, label it 2.  Below this
rectangle,
label it 2^1. Below this label, label it 2.

Now, if you were to double the size of your rectangle, you would have 4
squares
instead of 2. Cut out a 2 x 2 rectangle (for this activity you always want a
shape that is as close to a square as possible, so don't cut out a 4 x 1
rectangle.)  Glue this shape next to your first one. Above, label it 4. Below,
label it 2^2, and below that label 2 x 2 (for length x width).

Double the size of your new rectangle - getting a 2 x 4. Cut it out, glue it
down, and label accordingly. Usually, I can go up to 4 x 4 without the shapes
getting too large.

Here's the part of this exercise I like best. Look at the patterns you've
created. Each rectangle doubles in area as you go up the chart. Exponents go
from 1 to 2 to 3 to  4. Extend the pattern downward.

If you multiply by 2 as you move up the chart, what would you do to move down
the chart? You would divide by 2. Look at your 2 x 1 rectangle. What would you
have if you divided it by 2?  a 1 x 1 shape. Cut out this shape and glue it to
the paper.

Label above the shape 1, and label below the shape 2^0 with no second label
below that.

What would you have if you cut that shape in half?  1/2 x 1. Cut it out, glue
it down, and label:  1/2 above the shape, 2^-1 below the shape, and 1/2 below
that.

The next shape would be 1/2 x 1/2, and its labels would be 2^-2 and 1/(2 x 2).
Continue until you have shapes made and labeled up to 2^-4.

This activity really helps my students visualize negative exponents, exponent
of zero (do the same activity with powers of 3 - every level is tripled
instead
of doubled, or divided by 3 instead of 2, and 3^0 still = 1) and the rapid
growth of exponential patterns.

Hope this helps!

Cindy Wilkins

Post a public discussion message