From: Chuck Caley
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Jan 21, 1999 at 11:40:39
Subject: Motivating group-workers

I currently use "Discovering Geometry" by Micheal Sierra for sophomores in my
high school geometry classes. I have the students in groups of 4 to 5. They
work through the discovery process as presented in the book, coming up with
definitions for geometric figures such as chords, central angles, inscribed
angles, diameters, etc. This gives them ownership to the material, because
they "discover" the material, as opposed to me owning it and giving it to
them through lecture or demonstration. I like the concept. The kids are
actively engaged in their learning.

Here is my question. Often the definitions they come up with are clumsily
worded and although not inaccurate (although sometimes they are) do not make
an adequate "working definition". Now, if I close the lesson with a
discussion of their definitions, having the groups share their work and then
arriving at a good, working definition, many of the students learn that they
need not work hard at discovering their own definitions because they will be
altered at the end of the lesson anyway. If we do not close the lesson with
an attempt to correct and simplify the definitions they arrived at, they walk
out of the room with a jumble of words and a jumble of thoughts regarding the
concepts they were supposed to master. How do I allow them to discover the
concepts and at the same time, make sure they have an acceptable answer from
their discovery work? How do I motivate them to continue to work to discover
geometry and thereby own the information without stealing the information
from them at the end of the period by having them rewrite their work? I would
love some working strategies regarding this situation.

Thanks.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®