From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Feb 08, 1999 at 20:31:16
Subject: Re: Front End Estimation

Here's an idea just quickly off the top of my head. If I were in a store,
tallying the total quickly in my head as I went, and I had pruchases of 5.45,
6.49, 7.48, 2.42, and 1.49, rounding would get me the answer to 5 + 6 + 7 + 2
+ 1, or 21.

With front end estimation I would add the whole numbers, getting $21, and
then refine that estimate by noting that there are about $2.50 more there,
for an estimate of $23.50.  The actual sum is $23.33.  Now, if I wasn't
worried about the money I was spending, either method would do it for me.  If
I am trying to quickly get as close as I can to an amount, front-end
estimation could be a quick way to do that.

 -Gail, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®