From: Claudia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 23, 1998 at 22:38:18
Subject: Re: Algebra - 8th grade, models approach

Models? Actually, I can interpret that two different ways. One way would be to
use something like algebra tiles and show hands-on how the modeling of various
shapes allows for solving equations and operations with polynomials.

A second way would be to view things in terms of mathematical modeling. For
example, if I bounce a ball and calculate its return bounce, what is the
relation that exists between drop height and return bounce height? This one is
linear, so I learn about lines, what a real-world meaning of slope is, etc.

There are two different books that you can get to see examples, both published
by South-Western Publishing Co. Their Algebra I has both models in tiles and
math models. The book called Mathematics: Modeling Our World has MANY examples
of how math models can be used to teach mathematics.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/