From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Feb 27, 1999 at 21:17:13
Subject: Re: Rounding off-Estimation

Marylou had a great suggestion for you when she mentioned the number line.
That is what I used to use with fourth graders (and now use with some fifth
graders) who have trouble picturing the process.  I am assuming you are
rounding to the greatest place value each time.  That is probably the place
you should stay until your student is very comfortable with that ( in other
words, don't try going on to rounding a four digit number to the nearest
hundred, etc.)  The best thing about the number line is that it gives
students a mental image they can access whenever they need it.  Finding the
number on the line, and noting which "ten" or "hundred" is closer is much
easier because it gives them something a little more concrete to base their
decision on.

 -Gail, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question