Q&A #12455

Students don't like math

View entire discussion

From: Sokcha Hang <Sokcha_h@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Nov 09, 2003 at 02:42:01
Subject: Students don't like math

I am Sokcha, a math major. I am a senior. I love teaching math in high school (grades 9 to 12). My question is, "why do so many students perform so poorly in high school mathematics?" I have not officially started my teaching field yet, but from my personal experience that I taught some students proves that indeed many students don't like math. Not only they don't like but they hate this subject the most in comparison to other courses. I really don't understand why it is the case. Sometimes it discourages me as a going-to-be math teacher. I don't know whether the concept of math phobia comes from the difficulty itself or it is influenced from one student to another. I despretly need your help. Any methodology, strategy, psychological methods, plans, materials... that you have please kindly share with me. If possible, please give me your information as much as you can. I extremely appreciate your thoughts and help. Sincerily yours, Sokcha, Thailand

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®