From: Sokcha Hang <Sokcha_h@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Nov 09, 2003 at 02:42:01
Subject: Students don't like math

I am Sokcha, a math major. I am a senior. I love teaching math
in high school
(grades 9 to 12). My question is, "why do so many students
perform so poorly
in high school mathematics?"  I have not officially started my
teaching field
yet, but from my personal experience that I taught some
students proves that
indeed many students don't like math. Not only they don't like
but they hate
this subject the most in comparison to other courses. I really
don't
understand why it is the case. Sometimes it discourages me as a
going-to-be
math teacher. I don't know whether the concept of math phobia
comes from the
difficulty itself or it is influenced from one student to
another. I
despretly need your help. Any methodology, strategy,
psychological methods,
plans, materials... that you have please kindly share with me.
If possible,
please give me your information as much as you can.
I extremely appreciate your thoughts and help.

Sincerily yours,
Sokcha, Thailand

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/