From: Krishna (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 20, 2003 at 10:54:27
Subject: Re: Which algorithms should we still teach in high school?

Hi Carla,

I have asked this many times myself when I see the students struggling
that we need to change our curriculam. But I do think the class gets
more active when the students are working to arrive at the answers
using methods other than computers/calculators. I am afraid the
excitement of facing the challenge will go out of young childrens'
minds if we introduce methods to make them lazy and provide ready
answers. Maybe I am old-fashioned in my thinking but there it is.
Good luck.

 -Krishna, for the T2T service

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/