From: Krishna (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 20, 2003 at 10:54:27
Subject: Re: Which algorithms should we still teach in high school?

Hi Carla, I have asked this many times myself when I see the students struggling that we need to change our curriculam. But I do think the class gets more active when the students are working to arrive at the answers using methods other than computers/calculators. I am afraid the excitement of facing the challenge will go out of young childrens' minds if we introduce methods to make them lazy and provide ready answers. Maybe I am old-fashioned in my thinking but there it is. Good luck. -Krishna, for the T2T service

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/