From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Mar 09, 1999 at 20:41:05
Subject: Re: Chicago Math

I would not be writing you if I did not think that the UCSMP materials had
something to offer. I used the early edition Algebra for six years when it
first came out. It was used with high school students of average reading
ability who had not had pre-algebra or algebra in grades 7 or 8. I found it
very satisfying for that mathematically developed student.

I also taught for seven years from the Functions Statistic Trigonometry to
advanced 11th graders who had had geometry in tenth grade, algebra II in
ninth and were expecting to take BC Calculus in twelfth grade. I found the
book very good for the students to read. I found that I taught a theory
course above the text to this group of students because they were top
students, potentially National Merit.

I found both texts to provide the background necessary for students to
progress.

I have no research to support my views. UCSMP has done extensive research.
Like any text series you have to supplement if necessary with your individual
students. I find it easier to supplement activities rather than to supplement
reading. The UCSMP has excellent reading materials.

 -Marielouise, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/