Q&A #1280

Chicago Math

View entire discussion
[<<prev] [next>>]

From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Mar 09, 1999 at 20:41:05
Subject: Re: Chicago Math

I would not be writing you if I did not think that the UCSMP materials had something to offer. I used the early edition Algebra for six years when it first came out. It was used with high school students of average reading ability who had not had pre-algebra or algebra in grades 7 or 8. I found it very satisfying for that mathematically developed student. I also taught for seven years from the Functions Statistic Trigonometry to advanced 11th graders who had had geometry in tenth grade, algebra II in ninth and were expecting to take BC Calculus in twelfth grade. I found the book very good for the students to read. I found that I taught a theory course above the text to this group of students because they were top students, potentially National Merit. I found both texts to provide the background necessary for students to progress. I have no research to support my views. UCSMP has done extensive research. Like any text series you have to supplement if necessary with your individual students. I find it easier to supplement activities rather than to supplement reading. The UCSMP has excellent reading materials. -Marielouise, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®