From: Vasha (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 21, 1998 at 22:24:07
Subject: Re: 1st grade math curriculum

Some people seem to think that if we hurry and teach children many things, they will be smarter. Ever notice how much of a math text repeats what the children "learned" the year before?! You are on the right track when you understand that it takes time for children to be comfortable with mathematical ideas and able to apply them in new situations. Of course, that doesn't mean repeating exercises in computation until everyone makes 100! Computation figures into measurement, probability, data collecting, geometry, etc. Susan made a great suggestion about collecting data to show administrators. I would recommend a book edited by Constance Kamii, titled "Achievement Testing In the Early Grades: The Games Grownups Play" (1990, NAEYC). Chapter 13 details a method for assessment in mathematics which provides data to convince teachers, parents and administrators. Data are gathered 3 times a year on the same problems and student growth is quite evident. It will take time to prove your point, but the mission is worthy! Don't give up! - Vasha

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/