Q&A #13134

Code breaking - History

View entire discussion
[<<prev] [next>>]

From: Pat Ballew (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Feb 23, 2004 at 14:57:08
Subject: Re: Code breaking - History

Dave, I'm way away from being an expert in codes, the Enigma machine, or even matrices which I do know a little about,... but never fear that my wide area of ignorance would keep me from having an opinion... I don't think the Enigma (actually there were several of them, with different numbers of wheels, I believe) could be simulated by a matrix. For one thing the wheels on the enigma rotated as they were used so if they sent A to F this time, it would send it to a completely different number next time... And then there were wire plugs that allowed a pre-switch of certain letters also... Probably I can be more help if I shut up and put you on to some folks who actually do know a little about the machines, and how they worked... so here goes There is a site at http://www.ugrad.cs.jhu.edu/~russell/classes/enigma/how.html that describes the machine and also has a simulation of it... It also has some history of the war effort at Bletchy Park near Oxford... Also there is a nice site at http://www.codesandciphers.co.uk/enigma/ with some history of substitution ciphers etc... For kids, I would start with easy Ceaser Ciphers, maybe give them some history of the really complex ones using one of the simulations, then maybe get a few to gear up to read In Code, by Sarah Flannery and her dad... it is a beautiful story, and the fact that it is about Codes and Math just made it more fun for me..... Good luck -Pat Ballew, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®