From: Susan (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 14, 1998 at 23:25:01
Subject: Re: Real-world problem solving

Cindy,

Although there may be units developed, I find many of the "real" problems in my
neighborhood, the newspaper, even literature books.

Planning a nature preserve is my favorite. It involves perimeter, area,
science, cost per unit, and a huge opportunity for research that kids enjoy.

Last week my neighbor put in a new driveway that was 25' long, 6' wide, and 6"
deep. How many bags of cement did he need if each bag covered ? cubic feet? (I
forget what the bag said!)

I just look around at the local garden shop and see tons of possible math
questions.

Have fun creating!

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question