Q&A #13529

Addition and Subtaction with numbers 1-20

View entire discussion

From: Ilana Bar-Hai <ilbarhay@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Apr 19, 2004 at 15:57:14
Subject: Addition and Subtaction with numbers 1-20

[Question] What is the best way to help my child understand and succeed on problems of addition and subtraction on numbers 1-20, without using fingers?? She is 6.5 years old. [Difficulty] She gets exhausted and sometimes frustrated doing homework on this topic (up to 6 pages a day sometimes). On chart problems where the wanted sum is 15, for example, and she has to fill in the numbers that are missing horizontally, vertically and even diagonally, based on a few given numbers. She has to have my help doing homework. [Thoughts] I taught her to memorize up to 10 (ex: 6+3=9)and then to take numbers up to 10 For example:16-7=? : 7+3=10 and then there are 6 from 10 to 16, so 3+6=9 and so the answer is 9. Is this acceptable? Thank you, Ilana

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®